Nothing can be more stressful than your AC calling it quits during Orlando’s peak summer, where temperatures soar into the 90s. Based on recent data, Orlando’s hottest week averages a scorching 94°F. Let’s dive into immediate steps you should take if faced with this sweltering dilemma.
- Check Your Thermostat: Surprisingly, 12% of emergency calls are simply due to incorrect thermostat settings. Ensure it’s set to “cool” and check battery levels.
- Inspect Circuit Breakers: Over 9% of breakdowns are due to tripped breakers. If it’s tripped, reset it. If it trips again, you might have a larger electrical issue.
- Clean or Replace Filters: Blocked airflow due to clogged filters accounts for 11% of AC problems. Make sure filters are clean and allow proper airflow.
- Seek Temporary Solutions: While awaiting professional help, close blinds and curtains to block out the sun. Fans can also help circulate air, reducing indoor temperatures by up to 4°F.
- Call a Professional: 58% of AC breakdowns require expert intervention. While waiting, avoid using electrical appliances that generate heat, such as ovens.
- Research Temporary Cooling Systems: 34% of Orlando residents, during peak heat, rent portable AC units or fans as a short-term solution.
Preventive Measures for the Future:
- Regular Maintenance: Data suggests that 68% of summer AC breakdowns can be prevented with routine check-ups.
- Upgrade Old Systems: If your AC is over 10 years, consider upgrading. Modern systems are 20% more efficient and less prone to mid-summer failures.
In essence, while an AC breakdown during Orlando’s hottest days is daunting, quick thinking and effective measures can keep you cool. Stay informed, and more importantly, stay cool!